Facebook Twitter
Call Us

Call Us Today


Can You Still Receive Workers’ Compensation Benefits if You Lose Your Job?

Can You Still Receive Workers’ Compensation Benefits if You Lose Your Job?

Employers have the duty to carry workers’ compensation insurance to cover the costs of job-related injuries to employees. However, what happens if you are receiving workers’ compensation benefits, and then you lose your job? Is it legal for your employer to terminate you? Will your benefits end immediately? The following is some general information about this issue, and you should contact a workers’ compensation lawyer in Sherman Oaks directly to discuss your specific situation.

At-Will Employment

Most people have jobs on an at-will basis, which means your employer can terminate you for any lawful reason at any time. Your employer cannot, however, fire you for filing a workers’ compensation claim or receiving benefits. If you think your termination was in retaliation for your workers’ compensation claim, you should speak to an attorney right away. If your termination was simply due to budget cuts or other layoffs, it is likely legal, even if you are receiving benefits.

Your Benefits

If you lost your job due to company-related issues, your workers’ compensation benefits should continue, since you were granted the benefits while you still were working for the company. Even if the company is having financial problems that led to your termination, the insurance company should still continue covering your benefits.

On the other hand, if you were fired for a disciplinary matter, misconduct, poor performance, or another good cause, your benefits might stop as a result. Always have a lawyer evaluate your rights based on your termination reason.

A Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Sherman Oaks Can Help

Workers’ compensation benefits can become highly complicated if you lose your job and still need benefits. Do not hesitate to speak with a Sherman Oaks workers’ compensation attorney at Employee Defense Group by calling 818.334.4870 or contacting us online today.


See If You Qualify For MAXIMUM Compensation!